Qualifications of LASIK Doctors
Choosing your LASIK doctor is one of the most important decisions you will make during your LASIK journey. LASIK doctors are highly skilled ophthalmologists that specialize in the medical and surgical care of the eyes and visual system.
Ophthalmologists are eye physicians and eye surgeons. They can be either Doctors of Medicine (M.D.) or Doctors of Osteopathy (D.O.). Typically, eye doctors who perform LASIK surgery must have completed four years of pre-medical undergraduate education, four years of medical school, one year of internship and three or more years of specialized medical and surgical training in eye care as a resident in Ophthalmology. Many then attend specialized fellowship training in order to become specialists in diseases and surgery of the cornea, diseases and surgery of the retina or refractive surgery so they can become LASIK specialists.
Not all LASIK surgeons are equal. The following list of qualifications can help you determine which LASIK doctor will best suit your needs:
- Licensing: State licensing boards can validate a surgeon’s credentials.
- Board certification: It is a good sign if your surgeon is board certified. Ask if your surgeon is certified beyond having a basic license to practice medicine. This means that an entity recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties has certified the surgeon to practice their specialty. The American Board of Ophthalmology is one such entity that requires board-certified physicians to complete specific training and continuing education related to their specialty.
- Equipment: What kind of technology does the surgeon use, and do you have a choice as to the type of technology?
- Patient satisfaction: What is the vision doctor’s success rate? Of course, you will want to select a surgeon with a low rate of complications, but be wary of a provider who advertises a 100% success rate and is unable to back up those claims with objective data.
- Results: Does your provider offer a lifetime commitment on their results, including adjustments at no additional cost to eligible patients? Because every case is unique, be sure to discuss your expectations with your LASIK doctor prior to your surgery.
The key to successful LASIK surgery lies in the experience and care of the surgeon. Your eyes are delicate, so it’s important for you to choose a LASIK surgeon who is not only qualified but who you trust with your vision. Experienced, board certified Our Doctors in Pembroke Pines, Weston, Hollywood and Coral Springs would love to meet with you to discuss your options for LASIK surgery. Contact Correct Vision laser Institute at 954-442-1133 or website to schedule your free consultation.