Laser Eye Surgery vs. Contacts: Which is Safer?
When comparing laser eye surgery to placing contacts into your eye, you may conclude that contacts are the safest option. However, recent studies have suggested that the risk of wearing contacts might outweigh those of laser eye surgery.
Researchers from the Oregon Health and Science University discovered that the risk of vision loss with laser eye surgery might be lower than that with continuous contact use. This conclusion was reached based on a study of a patient who wore contact lenses for an extended period of time and experienced a decrease in vision.
Why Opt for Laser Eye Surgery
Throughout the years, the advancement of technology, more skilled surgeons and better patient screening have dramatically enhanced laser eye surgery. This has reduced risks associated with the procedure while establishing it as one of the safest and most common surgeries to undergo.
In contrast, contact lenses require you to manually insert a foreign object into your body, thus increasing the possibility of infection.
Reduce Risks Associated with Contact Lenses
CorrectVision Laser Institute considers patient safety top priority. If you do not opt for laser eye surgery, we recommend that you follow these tips in order to reduce your risk for infection:
• Wear your contacts as prescribed
• Avoid reusing contact lens solution
• Only clean your contacts with the solution
• Rinse your contacts per your doctor’s instruction
• Don’t wear your contacts while sleeping
• Frequently replace your contacts lens case
Reduce Risks Associated with Laser Eye Surgery
Even though risks regarding laser eye surgery, you can further reduce those risks by following these tips:
• Select an experienced surgeon
• Ensure that the surgeon utilizes the latest technology
• Cost should not be a primary factor when choosing a provider
• Be open about your medical history with your provider
• Abide by all follow-up care tips instructed to you by your doctor
CorrectVision Laser Institute is one of Florida’s most advanced vision correction practices and has extensive experience in laser eye surgery. Our goal is to open your eyes to the world of great vision by offering unparalleled expertise and the most advanced technology available. Contact us today for a consultation!