Am I a Candidate for LASIK Eye Surgery?
LASIK eye surgery can correct such eye problems as myopia
(nearsightedness), hyperopia (farsightedness) and astigmatism. To find out if
you are a candidate for LASIK, you will need a comprehensive vision exam and
consultation by an experienced eye doctor to determine if LASIK is a good fit
Before your LASIK consultation in Pembroke Pines, there are some general criteria that can guide you in deciding if this is the right procedure for you. To have laser eye surgery you should be in good eye health, good overall health and have realistic expectations of the LASIK procedure:
LASIK Candidates Should Have Good Eye Health:
- Your eye prescription should fall within certain
- You should have no eye disease, including keratoconus,
uncontrolled glaucoma, severe cataracts, corneal disease and certain retinal
and optic nerve diseases.
- You should have no residual or active eye
conditions including optic neuritis, ocular herpes, some cases of amblyopia
(lazy eye) and strabismus (muscle imbalance).
- You should have no current or recurring
LASIK Candidates Should Have Overall Good Health:
- To be a candidate for LASIK eye surgery, you should not have any autoimmune diseases, such as Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis or multiple sclerosis.
- If you have diabetes, it must be well managed and under good control.
- Certain health conditions may require medications that can slow or prevent healing. You should tell your surgeon about all the medications you are taking and have taken in the last year.
- You cannot be pregnant or nursing, or plan to become pregnant in the next 6 months following surgery. If nursing and considering LASIK laser eye surgery, you should wait at least 3 months after you’ve stopped. Hormonal fluctuations can affect visual stability.
Considerations and Expectations:
In preparation for a LASIK procedure you will not be able to
wear contact lenses for an extended period of time before the surgery due to
contacts temporarily altering the shape of your corneas. This amount of time
will be determined by your doctor. This is a very important LASIK surgery
It’s important that you are committed to following the LASIK post-operative instructions from Dr. Bosem, including:
- Resting your eyes immediately following surgery.
- Using prescribed and non-prescribed eye drops to
continue the lubrication of your eyes after surgery.
- Follow-up visits to check on progression of your
eye healing and health.
- Restriction on some activities that could impair
the healing processes (such as swimming).
You must be comfortable knowing that while in many cases
LASIK surgery eliminates the need for contacts and glasses, results can vary
depending on the individual.
Contact Correct Vision Laser Institute today by calling 954-442-1133 or visiting correctvision.com to find out if you are a candidate for LASIK eye surgery.