LASIK eye surgery has grown to be a very popular procedure worldwide, reducing the need for contact lenses or glasses for many individuals. However, like any surgical procedure, not everyone is considered a perfect candidate.
Candidates for this type of surgery have to meet specific requirements identified by their eye physician. If you are interested in pursuing this procedure, CorrectVision Laser Institute has provided some guidelines and questions to give you an idea on your candidacy for LASIK eye surgery.
LASIK Eye Surgery Candidate Guidelines
1. Are you at least 18-years-old? In order to pursue this surgery you must be at least 18 years or older.
2. Are you at least 21-years-old? If you are this age or older, your candidacy for the surgery is likely. At this age, LASIK eye surgery is able to treat nearsightedness with or without astigmatism and farsightedness with or without astigmatism.
3. Do you have healthy eyes? Healthy eyes imply that you are not suffering from any eye diseases or corneal abnormalities (scars or infections).
4. Can you lie down without difficulty or discomfort? To many, this question may seem irrelevant. But this surgery is conducted while lying down so you must be able to hold this position steadily for the length of the procedure.
5. Are you able to keep your eye accurately fixated on a point of light for one to two minutes? State-of-the-art lasers that are used in this surgery are manufactured to track eye movement. However, it’s still imperative that a candidate is able to stare at a particular spot during the procedure to guarantee the best results possible.
6. Are you willing to stop wearing contact lenses for two to four weeks before the LASIK eye surgery consultation and procedure? The reason why your eye physician may request you to stop wearing your contact lenses is because they can alter the shape of the cornea. This could impact their professional opinion of whether you are a good candidate or not. It is recommended that if you are willing to pursue this procedure that you stop wearing your contacts for the time recommended above.
7. Are you comfortable with signing an informed consent form provided by your LASIK eye surgery provider? Reputable LASIK eye surgery providers, such as Correct Vision Laser Institute, will expect you to sign a consent form stating that you understand what is entailed in the surgery and what potential risks are associated with it.
CorrectVision Laser Institute is one of Florida’s most advanced vision correction practices and has extensive experience in LASIK surgery. Our goal is to open your eyes to the world of great vision by offering unparalleled expertise and the most advanced technology available. Contact us today for a consultation!