While contact lenses are an effective way of correcting vision impairment, there are health risks that can be associated with wearing them. While the lens itself does not pose danger, it’s typically the behavior of the wearer that causes the problem.
At CorrectVision Laser Institute, we want to ensure you achieve and maintain optimal eye health. Thus, we have provided you with a few contact lens safety tips to follow.
Stop Bad Habits
The greatest risk for contact wearers is associated with misuse. Here are a few common bad habits you need to stop when wearing contact lenses:
- -Sleeping with contact lenses
- -Overusing disposable contact lenses
- -Having poor hygiene
- -Not using the cleaning solution as intended
By following the directions given by your medical professional, you can drastically reduce your risk of eye infections and other dangers.
Get Your Eyes Checked
If you are an adult, make sure to get your eyes checked every two years to make sure that your eyes are healthy and no changes to your vision have occurred. Any type of risk can be controlled by regular eye tests.
Avoid Swimming with Lenses
- Amoeba infection is an extremely serious water-related infection that can cause long-lasting damage to your eyes. Make sure to never swim with your lenses, and always use the correct solution when cleaning.
Purchase Lenses From a Reputable Source
- Make sure to purchase your contact lenses from a reputable source. Ordering lenses from the Internet without a regular check-up can increase your chance of infection and complications, which can lead to permanent damage. Also be aware of lens intolerance – when the lens is the not the correct fit for your eye, leading to irritation and redness.
Don’t Ignore Symptoms
- While risks are unlikely, it’s best to be aware of signs of an infection or disease, and to see a doctor immediately for an assessment if symptoms arise. Symptoms to watch for include blurry vision, pain, discharge, or any unusual sensations in the eye.
Getting clearer vision with contact lenses is a great way to temporarily increase your vision if used properly. Make sure to consult with your doctor and follow proper eye-health procedures.
CorrectVision Laser Institute is one of Florida’s most advanced vision correction practices with extensive experience in eye health. Our goal is to open your eyes to the world of great vision by offering unparalleled expertise and the most advanced technology available. Contact us today for a consultation with one of our South Florida eye specialists, located in Hollywood, Weston and Pembroke Pines!